About

50 years of serving the community

 55 years ago, Cilker Henderson Properties began with a vision from a farming family. They have created an infrastructure for hospitals and medical offices.

Our History

Timeline

1918

Nathan Lester, his son William Lester and son-in-law William Cilker purchase a prune and apricot orchard that is now the Samaritan Medical campus. The ranch had its own packing house and a quarter-mile spur track of the Peninsula Interurban Railway to service it. The Cilker Family lived on the farm until 1950.

1961

The Lester and Cilker families gift six acres of its orchard and sell 14 acres to a community group to build a local hospital. The families partnered to develop Samaritan Drive and underground utility improvements to serve as a medical complex infrastructure.

1965

The first buildings on the Samaritan Medical Center Campus open – 34,000 square feet of single-story medical office buildings known today as 2505 Samaritan Drive.

1975

The second building complex on campus breaks ground known as 2577 Samaritan Drive. The development is a two-story, 41,000 square foot medical office building.

1980

Cilker Henderson Properties now includes 15 buildings and 110,000 square feet of medical office space, pharmacy, laboratories, and healthcare providers.

1986

At over 44,000 square feet, 2585 Samaritan Drive is completed and leased to Good Samaritan Medical Group.

1987

Samaritan Medical Center participates in the Route 85 Corridor Study along with other community leaders from San Jose, Los Gatos and Saratoga.

1992

The 2400 Samaritan Drive medical office building with 20,940 square feet is completed and dedicated to Everett Bryan, a past SMC managing partner.

1994

Highway 85 opens between Cupertino and South San Jose, adjacent to the SMC campus, providing high visibility and convenient access for patients of SMC tenants. An estimated 150,000 vehicles travel past Samaritan Medical Center every day.

1996

Columbia Healthcare purchases Good Samaritan Hospital. Samaritan Medical Center is engaged with the Community Task Force to convert the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation into its own 501(c)3 charitable organization, which ultimately becomes The Health Trust. The mission of The Health Trust is to build health equity in Silicon Valley.

1997

Samaritan Medical Center celebrates the dedication of the Cilker-Bryan Neonatal Unit at Good Samaritan Hospital.

2003

Construction is completed on a three-story medical office building on the campus at 2581 Samaritan Drive.

The 75,000 square foot building is dedicated to William H. Cilker, a past managing partner of SMC. The campus now has more than 290,000 square feet of medical office space.

2010

Groundbreaking is held to construct a four-story landmark building on the SMC campus’s western edge designed to be an integrated, multi-disciplinary cancer care center.

The $22 million building features two vaults with linear accelerators for radiation technology used in cancer treatments.

2010

Samaritan Medical Center forms a Steering Committee to address the psycho-social needs of cancer patients and their caregivers. The result is the creation of Cancer CAREpoint. Every person whose life touched this organization’s formation puts their thumbprint on a poster board as a symbolic remembrance. You can learn more about Cancer CAREpoint at https://www.cancercarepoint.org/

2015

Stanford Healthcare leases the four-story landmark building at 2589 Samaritan Drive and opens a world-class integrated cancer center. A ribbon-cutting is held in June 2015, and the first patients are seen a few weeks later.

2020 – 2035

Cilker Henderson Properties receives entitlements from the City of San Jose for a Master Plan development.

The Master Plan proposed increasing Samaritan Medical Center’s current office space from 330,000 to 695,000 SQ FT. The campus is designed to modernize and meet health care requirements, continuing Cilker Henderson Properties’ 55-year-old tradition of serving the local community.